Thursday 15 January 2015

Where it all started

Blogging who would have thought we would be in a world where everyone could be a writer of sorts and anyone from all over the world would have access to these blogs, I sure didn't. Okay so abit about me I guess is the purpose here; I wear a few hats in life, a mental health worker, an artist, a professional organizer, a daughter, sister, aunt and friend.  Three years ago I would not have included artist nor professional organizer as I undervalued myself and my abilities.  I would have to say that over the last few years of my journey has lead me to a place where I have found a new freedom, a new sense of worth and a wonderful revelation: who cares what others think of me.  Not in a rude way but in a wow maybe I should just worry about how I feel about myself via my actions and what I choose to focus on daily.  I think I shed a few thousand pounds that day I discovered this freedom, sorry ladies I did not literally lose weight so I do not have anything to share on that topic.  About three years ago a friend of mine encouraged me to open a shop on ETSY, so with terror and excitement I started this journey of doing things I never thought possible. From having a little success with my shops, yes I ended up opening two, it lead me to believe I could possibly do other things I never pictured myself doing, either out of fear, what would others think or that horrible belief I'm not good enough (yikes I know what a false belief but it still rears its ugly head) .
So here enters the beginning of my new business, Serenity Organizing Solutions, and how I started it because well why not?  I have been dreaming about this business for years, have doodles on papers with the name and logo (several logos actually) but thought "I can't open a business I'm not good enough nor do I know what I am doing!". Well I have been talking to friends about it on and off for years and have only received positive feedback to Go For It!  It was in late summer early fall that I challenged myself and said why can't I open my business and could not come up with one plausible answer.  Anxiety slowly set in and I knew then, I was going to be a business owner and do what I love doing.
Thank goodness for people and their willingness to help others because that is all I have experienced since starting this adventure. I started out with the fun stuff, cards, website (still cannot believe I was able to make a website I am technically challenged) logo and letting friends know. Then came the reality of it all I need to find clients hmmm how do I do that? I went onto Facebook and created a page and started advertising in several local groups and got a great response. I could not believe it, I was so excited to meet potential clients and let them know how I could support them in solving their organizing concerns.
We need to go back a few years here like many, when I was young about 7 or 8 I would help clean and organize my friends rooms and help display their toys "better".  Call it OCD or a flair for space whatever it was it has stayed with me always. You could find me often rearranging my bedroom to find the best layout for what I wanted to do to in the space and to make it more p!easing to the eye. When I got older I would mention tips to friends about little things they could change in their rooms to make it appear larger or give them more space to dance, listen to music or get ready for school you know important things back then. From here I was asked to help friends out with rearranging their rooms, I would help relatives and soon it went on to helping their friends. I have been doing this for years and have done it because I want to help people find their serene space that was there all along just hidden in clutter and unorganized homes.  A few years back I did a few jobs and was paid for my time, I thought what a bonus I get to do what I love and then get paid for it. This also made it hard for me to picture opening a business and doing this on a professional level as it seemed to good to be true.
So here we are back to today where I am figuring out things as I go and am loving it. Along the way I have found the generosity of a fellow organizer, Rosalind Tantalo of Fresh Start Solutions Inc. A couple of women's networking groups that I am so excited about being part of, SWAN and Wings and Heros, and all the support and ideas from friends who know something about running a business so many to name you know who you are.
I hope to use this blog to capture some before and afters, organizing tips and my adventures in creating my business.  I would love this site to be as interactive as possible so please share your comments, tips, words of encouragement and anything else you see needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment